From the Superintendent
Like most school years, the 'bookends' are often hot and uncomfortable days and weeks for students and staff in some of our instructional spaces. Both GMS and MIW have climate control in most areas of the buildings, whereas GHS has only a couple of spaces with climate control. As we round out week #2, many thanks to everyone for doing their best to "weather" the heat and hopefully some cool Maine air is on the way soon. Despite the temperatures, we are in full school mode now with the arrival of our kindergartners on Tuesday and pre-kindergarteners on Thursday. We are off to a great start!
Our custodial and maintenance teams deep cleaned all of our facilities over the summer, which is standard practice. Additionally, I wanted to make you aware of several larger projects that were completed over the summer to improve our facilities and learning experiences for students:
Mabel I. Wilson School
- Reconfigured modular buildings at MIW with one 10-room building (grade 3) and one 12-room building (grade 2), complete with climate control, bathrooms, new technology & new furniture
- Built covered access ramps on both ends of the two modular buildings
- Demolished Tuttletown and built new playground on another location behind the school
- Installed separate Pre-K playground
- Built shaded pergola on playground
- Replaced perimeter fencing with 8’ surround fencing and secure gates on timers
- Repaved entire back area around modular buildings and playground
- Re-seeded green field space in back of MIW
- Expanded the cafeteria by removing the stage, replacing flooring, upgrading HVAC, repainting room, installing two exterior windows, and replacing lighting
- Repairing and replacing drainage culverts around the building
- Resurfaced library entrance to school (parent drop off/pick up)
- Resurfaced/painted three rusted entrance awnings to school
Other Facility Upgrades
- Built new stand-alone ‘snack shack’ building for athletic events adjacent to the field house
- Renovated the GHS office for enhanced security
- Installed additional alarms to designated doors at all schools for enhanced security
- Repainting numerous common areas at GHS
- Installed hallway interior reader screen for announcements
- Resurfaced outdoor eating area at GHS
- Replaced modular unit at GMS
- Replaced exterior freezer outside GHS kitchen
Just a reminder that our first early release is this coming Wednesday, September 13. Our faculty and administration is looking forward to welcoming you to our various upcoming open houses and parent information nights over the next few weeks.
All staff meeting to welcome everyone back for a successful school year.
Notices from the Office of the Superintendent
FREE SCHOOL BREAKFAST/LUNCH IN 2023-24
School meals will be available to all students at no charge this year, regardless of household income. However, we ask that families still complete an Economic Status Form if you think you would qualify, as this provides data for key funding for academic resources and may also connect your family to additional benefits. Please use the chart below to determine possible eligibility.
To apply, complete the SY 2024 Economic Status Form and return to: MSAD #51 Food Service, 353 Tuttle Road, Cumberland ME 04021. We request that the application is completed by September 22, 2023. A new form must be submitted each school year.
Here are the best ways to stay connected to what is going on at MSAD #51
Subscribe to our District's weekly newsletter by clicking here.
Like us on Facebook at MSAD #51
Find us Instagram @msad_51
YouTube Channel MSAD #51
NEW Edlio App: Click Here for instructions on downloading the app.
FREE BUS DRIVING CLASS
MSAD #51 Board of Directors Information
All meetings will take place at 6:00 pm in the Gyger Room at Greely High School. For those of you unfamiliar with that room, the Gyger Room can be accessed from the GHS parking lot (the side without the electronic sign).
September 18 - Regular Meeting
If you would like something included in our weekly newsletter, please send a brief write up with title along with a JPEG or PNG image of your flyer (if applicable) to Melissa Porter for approval. The deadline each week is Sunday. Any requests received after Sunday will be reviewed for possible submission in the following week's newsletter. All approved submissions will be posted on the district's website.
Not all items in this email are MSAD #51 sponsored programs. If you need more information, please contact the group or organization that is sponsoring the event.
357 Tuttle Road, PO Box 6A, Cumberland, ME 04021
Contact Us | 207.829.4800