From the Superintendent
This is the first year we have held 9th grade orientation on a scheduled school day in order to ensure that all incoming high schoolers and all staff were able to participate and it was great to see many members of the Class of 2024 volunteering as student mentors for the younger students. At Mabel I. Wilson School, the first few minutes on Thursday were spent enjoying the new playground and play spaces that have been transformed and are still undergoing additions. Many thanks to our Facilities staff for their incredible work getting the modular classrooms and grounds in order for the first day of school at MIW, as well as their hard work cleaning all spaces in the district over the summer. Our entire staff has been preparing for our students' return and it has been wonderful to see our campus full again with students and all their smiles and excitement.
Earlier this week, US News and World Report, one of the foremost authoritative sources of school and college ratings in the nation, again named Greely High School the #1 high school in Maine (2023) for the fourth year in a row. GHS ranked #571 out of 25,000 US high schools reviewed. Congrats to all of our students and staff for their hard work! This is truly an honor for all of our PK-12 students, staff, and families as well as the entire communities of Cumberland and North Yarmouth. It is unprecedented for a Maine school district to have a top-rated school for this length of time, and is a testament to the value placed on education in this community. To learn more about the US News rankings, visit https://www.usnews.com/e
MIW students try out the new playground and pergola as the first day of school began Thursday.
Thursday's Grade 9 onboarding began with a welcome from GHS administration, staff & Class of 2024 mentors.
Notices from the Office of the Superintendent
Here are the best ways to stay connected to what is going on at MSAD #51
Subscribe to our District's weekly newsletter by clicking here.
Like us on Facebook at MSAD #51
Find us Instagram @msad_51
YouTube Channel MSAD #51
NEW Edlio App: Click Here for instructions on downloading the app.
GHS: AED Cabinets located in the GCA Lobby, outside the gymnasium, and outside the nurse's office by the Commons
GMS: AED Cabinet located outside the gymnasium and outside the nurse's office
MIW: AED Cabinet located outside the main office
Mobile AED Cart located with the athletic trainer
MSAD #51 Board of Directors Information
All meetings will take place at 6:00 pm in the Gyger Room at Greely High School. For those of you unfamiliar with that room, the Gyger Room can be accessed from the GHS parking lot (the side without the electronic sign).
September 7 - Regular Meeting
Community Members Needed
The MSAD #51 Board of Directors has openings for community members on two of our committees. Being a member on a committee will involve attending monthly meetings (but could be more frequent depending on the urgency of the task at hand). Times will be determined after the committees have been finalized. There may also be reading or other research asked of you in between meetings.
Committee Descriptions and Expected Primary Tasks for 23-24
- The Equity Leadership Steering Committee promotes continuous learning, skill building, and dialogue in MSAD #51 to create a learning and work environment in our schools which is inclusive, free from discrimination, and that strives to eliminate barriers to success for all.
Anticipated tasks for this year:
- Finalizing equity plan drafted in the 22-23 school year;
- Implementing and overseeing portions of the plan; and
- Hold listening sessions to share experiences in the district.
- Community Engagement Committee**: will be responsible for ensuring that there are opportunities for all members of the district--including but beyond parents– to give feedback, and have the information they need when important decisions are being made. It is this board's desire that every member of the district feels they have opportunities to be engaged with current and future plans for the district. **Pending board approval
Anticipated tasks for this year:
- Evaluating the board’s current communication and engagement channels;
- Provide feedback and recommendations for improving communication;
- Design and implement communication strategies to inform and support board and district goals;
- Making sure all residents have access to all information about the new school plan and creating space for residents to effectively communicate with the board.
Please click here to complete this brief application. Applications are due by 5pm on Monday, September 11th. All applications will be reviewed by the proposed chairs of the respective committees and the school board chair for committee placement. Final notification of selections will be made on Monday, September 18th.
Thank you for your interest in working with the 23-24 MSAD #51 Board of Directors
If you would like something included in our weekly newsletter, please send a brief write up with title along with a JPEG or PNG image of your flyer (if applicable) to Melissa Porter for approval. The deadline each week is Sunday. Any requests received after Sunday will be reviewed for possible submission in the following week's newsletter. All approved submissions will be posted on the district's website.
Not all items in this email are MSAD #51 sponsored programs. If you need more information, please contact the group or organization that is sponsoring the event.
357 Tuttle Road, PO Box 6A, Cumberland, ME 04021
Contact Us | 207.829.4800